Below are resources for common course approval processes. For more information see the course approval overview in the helpful links section below.
New Course Proposals
- Course Approval Form
- Supplemental Forms
Course creation begins in the CCLP. After creating the course in CCLP you can generate the requisite forms to upload to the Online Course Approvals (OCA) system. You can find detailed, step by step, instructions on creating a new course, here.
- The following are considered major course revisions:
- Changes to the course number when changing between upper, lower, and graduate divisions
- Major changes to the course title
- Changing course credits
- Major changes to the catalog description
- Changing general education codes
- Changing prerequisites and corequisites
- Changing major enrollment restrictions
- Reactivating a course with a new instructor
- Making a class a distance learning course
- The following are considered minor course revisions
- Changing the status (suspension or cancellation)
- Reactivating a course with the same instructor
- Changing the course number when upper, lower, or graduate divisions do not change
- Minor changes to the catalog description
- Minor title changes
- Interview only courses
- Change in enrollment limitation
- Adding the "repeat for credit" option
- Withdrawing a course
- Major or Minor Course Revision Form
- Major revisions that are a change in the number of credits, in GE codes, and/or reactivation with a new instructor require the supplemental form.
- General Education (GE) Supplemental Form, if applicable, see below
- Disciplinary Communication. (DC) Form, if applicable, see below
Course revisions can be made in in the CCLP. Detailed, step by step, instructions can be found here.
General Education (GE) supplemental forms must accompany any new course proposal or major course revision in which the GE code changes. Supplemental forms for each GE code, as well as a description of the GE, can be found on the Registrar's website, here.
Note that a course may only satisfy one GE requirement. Some GE requirements have many courses across campus that satisfy them, while others have few options. The registrar provides a comprehensive list of courses that satisfy GE codes, here.
Any new disciplinary communications (DC) course or changes to an existing DC course require an additional supplemental form. This includes all major and minor revisions. Supplemental forms can be found on the Registrar's website, here.