Things to Consider for Your Preliminary Event Planning
Confirm your event with your department administration, and then submit event info + image at least 10 weeks in advance if:
- You would like to request promotion and marketing services…
- You would like to request ticketing services…
- You would like to request request paid advertising…
- You would like to request house management services…
- You would like to request a professionally produced event program…
These services require a MINIMUM of 10 weeks to plan and execute -- and we must complete them before your event. Please contact us with appropriate lead time if you will need any of these extended services.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
- PLEASE NOTE: As of September 2016, the Arts Events Office no longer provides administrative support or production services to symposia, workshops, and other special extra-departmental events.
- The Arts Division can provide NO-COST online promotion (listings on arts.ucsc.edu/events, the UCSC Campus Calendar, Arts e-newsletter, Arts Division social media, UCSC news and events communications such as "Tuesday Newsday," radio spots, etc.) for Arts Division-sanctioned events when the Event Kick-Off is submitted *at least 4 weeks in advance*. Effective promotion allows the public time to learn about the event in advance.
- Events requiring more in-depth, advance promotion and marketing will need to be submitted *at least 10 weeks in advance.* Additional levels of promotion are determined by the marketing goals of the Arts Division, your event's marketing budget, lead time, and staff resources.
- Depending on the complexity of the marketing plan for your event, you should put your planning efforts in motion at least 4-6 months in advance. You and your team may need to start planning 12-18 months in advance if you will need to secure a venue, confirm artists' schedules, book travel, or reserve hotel rooms in Santa Cruz, in addition to a complex marketing campaign.
Items You Should Consider in Your Preliminary Planning
- Do you have the financial and human resources to put on a successful event?
- Do you need to book speakers or performers?
- Will you need to book travel and/or accommodations for artists / performers / presenters?
- Do you need to secure a venue?
- Which account (FOAPAL) will be used?
- Which Arts Division department or unit will guarantee payment of expenses?
- Have you budgeted for all realistic expenses?
- Will you need to hire artistic or administrative support staff?
- Will you be inviting the Chancellor's participation? The Dean's?
- Will you need to reserve the professional services of a caterer or a graphic designer?
- Do you have the funding and the lead time required to achieve the results you want?
- Will an advance promotional / marketing campaign be part of your planning?
- Will tickets be offered (for sale or free distribution)?
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =