Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History (MAH)
Position: Creative Programs Intern
Type: Part-Time (10 - 20 hrs per week)
Term: Summer 2018
Location: Santa Cruz, California
What makes this opportunity awesome:
You will help build the amazing, creative, hands-on experiences for all ages at the Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History (MAH) and Abbott Square. You get to bring your most playful and imaginative self to reach new levels of creative innovation. You’ll get to create, engage, play and interact with thousands of visitors coming to the Museum & Abbott Square.
In this internship, you’ll be supporting the design & facilitation of igniting, creative and engaging participatory projects and community programs. This internship is focused on Friday Nights at the MAH and Sunday Play Days. Interns will collaborate with local community members, lead programs, and facilitate creative and engaging activities accessible for all ages. Interns will gain experience in: arts education, event planning, museum programs, designing and leading community programs, collaboration, and community engagement.
What you’ll be doing:
- Project Planning & Designing: brainstorm creative projects aimed for an intergenerational audience that will take place at the MAH & Abbott Square on Fridays and Sundays.
- Prepping: be prepared to fearlessly experiment & get messy! Prepare projects and activities you will be facilitating.
- Inviting & welcoming: you will interact with thousands of visitors, making exciting first impressions by being warm, welcoming and enthusiastic.
- Engaging: inviting visitors to participate in a wide range of creative experiences.
- Facilitating: leading participatory projects and activities/
- Collaborating: working with various community members, MAH interns & staff.
- Community Building: work with other community builders and help make our community strong.
- Working with Youth: helping facilitate field trips with students from across the county.
You’re a great fit for this position if you:
- Love engaging with the community.
- Are always on time or a few minutes early for your shift.
- Smile and exhibit positive body language towards all visitors.
- Drop everything to meet and greet everyone with genuine enthusiasm and excitement.
- Enjoy creating & innovating creative experiences in a collaborative environment.
- Work well with others. You like to step in to help with special projects or events. ·
- Are excited to work with community members of all ages.
- Have experience working with a variety of artistic mediums.
- Have experience teaching or working with kids & adults.
- You’re a warm, high-energy, outgoing, extroverted people-person who has stellar customer service instincts.
- You’re tech savvy and feel comfortable with Microsoft Office and Google programs.
- You can think on the fly, improvise, and solve problems under pressure.
- You’re bilingual (English & Spanish) ...not mandatory, but it’s a plus.