(L) Undergraduate Milo Halperin researching Codex at Special Collections, (R) sketch for his Vo Xochitl comic series inspired by the collection. Milo, who is a first generation Vietnamese American, grew up surrounded by a majority Latino community. His comic integrates Aztec and Latin Culture into traditional Western comic styles, this collaborative comic is created for and with members of his chosen community.
THE ARTS RESEARCH INSTITUTE’S ART + OPPRESSION INITIATIVE
Using the power of art to overcome oppression, tell stories that oppose censorship, connect creative resistance across generations and promote change
This multifaceted initiative funds our Visiting Artist program, Superheroes + Other Misfits; the bi-annual Freedom of Expression Student Comics Class, themed graduate student teaching fellowships and support for faculty and student research. The launch of this initiative is made possible by the generous support of donors Jim Gunderson and Peter Coha, we invite you to join us with your support.
How You Can Help
Join us in fulfilling our vision
● Underwrite the Art + Oppression educational program, enabling us to continue to offer courses, the comics competition, and support the work of faculty and students engaged with these pressing issues.
● Support the Superheroes and Other Misfits visiting artist series, which brings to campus artists/researchers whose creative work responds to oppression, is silenced, or is from countries where work is oppressed.
● Support Faculty fellowships, that further innovative research
● Support graduate and undergraduate students Our students are working on trans, BIPOC, first generation, environmental and disability rights with work that is innovative, cross-disciplinary and pushes boundaries. These small grants facilitate the production of new work.
● Support our new artist in residency program. In partnership with UCSC McHenry Library Special Collections and Archives. We are expanding support of teaching and research on topics related to the Art and Oppression theme by funding artists in residence.
Director of Development, Arts Division