Things to Consider for Your Preliminary Event Planning
Fill out the online Arts Event Submission form:
- Inform the Arts Division about your event
- Get baseline promotion + marketing from the Arts Division (at no cost to you)
- Event listings on the Arts Division website and UCSC Events calendar
- Consideration for inclusion in the regular Arts e-newsletter (every 4-6 weeks)
- Potential inclusion in UCSC's weekly ad in the Good Times
In addition, the Arts Division offers the following services to departments and programs within the Arts Division:
- ticketing services…
- house management services…
- event program booklet layout, printing…
- advertising panel on the Barn Theater
Because these services require time to plan and execute—and they have to be in place before your event happens—please submit the AEO Services request at least 10 weeks in advance of your event. (https://arts.ucsc.edu/administration/artsevents/services)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
- Effective promotion allows the public time to learn about the event—and decide whether they are interested.
- Effective promotion reaches a single person in multiple "touches" via a variety of forums and media.
- Printing takes time.
- We recommend that you put your planning efforts in motion 4-6 months in advance. You and your team may need to start planning 12-18 months in advance if you will need to secure a venue, confirm artists' schedules, book travel, or reserve hotel rooms in Santa Cruz.
Items You Should Consider in Your Preliminary Planning
- Do you have the financial and human resources to put on a successful event?
- Do you need to book speakers or performers?
- Will you need to book travel and/or accommodations for artists / performers / presenters?
- Do you need to secure a venue?
- Which accounts (FOAPALs) will be used?
- Which Arts Division department or unit will guarantee payment of expenses?
- Have you budgeted for all realistic expenses?
- Will you need to hire artistic or administrative support staff? Will you need to train them?
- Will you be inviting the Chancellor's participation? The Dean's?
- Will you need to secure the professional services of a caterer or a graphic designer?
- Do you have the funding and the lead time required to achieve the results you want?
- Will an advance promotional / marketing campaign be part of your planning?
- Will tickets be offered (for sale or free distribution)?
- Will you have special parking needs?
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =