Things to Consider for Your Event Planning
We recommend that you put your planning efforts in motion at least 4-6 months in advance. (You and your team may need to start planning 12-18 months in advance to put everything in place.) Here's a partial list of questions to consider.
(NOTE: The Arts Events Office doesn't currently provide event planning services. Our focus is on day-of event management and patron interface.)
Items You Should Consider in Your Preliminary Planning
- Do you have the financial and human resources to put on a successful event?
- Do you need to book speakers or performers?
- Will you need to book travel and/or accommodations for artists / performers / presenters?
- Do you need to secure a venue?
- Which UCSC accounts (FOAPALs) will be used?
- Which Arts Division department or unit will guarantee payment of expenses?
- Have you budgeted for all realistic expenses?
- Will you need to hire artistic or administrative support staff? Will you need to train them?
- Will you be inviting the Chancellor's participation? The Dean's?
- Will you need to secure the professional services of a caterer or a graphic designer?
- Do you have the funding and the lead time required to achieve the results you want?
- Will an advance promotional / marketing campaign be part of your planning?
- Will tickets be offered (for sale or free distribution)?
- Will you have special parking needs?
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =